Saturday, August 7, 2010

58. Craving Pork Bone Soup? (Gamjatang)

First off, I'd like to apologize for the lack of updating! Nothing exciting has happened lately so I didn't see a need for blogging. I figured I should get back into doing some reviews and recommend some good food places for everyone who still checks my blog on a regular basis (thank you guys!).

---
So for those of you who LOVE korean food like I do...or to be more specific, Gamjatang (pork bone soup), you'd be willing to try any place and compare it!

Below are different restaurants that serve gamjatang:

1. The Owl of Minerva (open 24 hours - Yonge St. location)


The Gamjatang (๊ฐ์žํƒ•) here always comes hot and sizzling, made quick to order and fresh. In korean "gamjatang" means potato soup, therefore you should always expect to have potatoes in it! At only $6.99, the soup comes in a stone pot with a bowl of rice and other side dishes (cucumbers, radish and kimchi). You can't go wrong!
What I like about this place is the soup isn't too spicy and the portion size is just enough to fill you up.

Don't like gamjatang? Try this: Beef ribs! At $8.99 this hot plate of beef ribs is marinated in korean style sauces (sweet and savoury) also comes with a bowl of rice.



2. Paldo Gangsan (Korea Town - Bloor St. & Christie)


I've only been here once late at night and to my surprise, the place was quite busy! I ordered the gamjatang to see how this place compared to others and I highly recommend everyone give it a try. As usual, the soup came hot and bubbling, generous portions of pork bones and lots of vegetables. The side dishes were simply worth getting refills! The price? At $5.99 that's a deal!

3. Joons (Yonge & Sheppard)


A while back, my friend Melvin & I decided to try this place. We both ordered gamjatang and to our surprise, there was no potatoes in it! Ironic, cause it's supposed to be potato soup. Anyway, I didn't really like their gamjatang because it was somewhat bland and flavour-less. On the plus side, I really liked the side dishes - sweet potato salad was the best! But at $7, you're better off going to The Owl.

4. Toong (Yonge & Finch)


I don't recommend getting the gamjatang here! It wasn't as good as the others that I've tried - the only bonus is they're open late and a good place to go for drinks or appetizers.

---
I hope this was helpful information for those who want to try to crave gamjatang! I'm not huge on korean food but this is definitely one of my favourite korean dish!

Where would you recommend good gamjatang? Let me know! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment